Your gift to De La Salle Institute enables us to fulfill our mission of educating young women and men in our Catholic, Lasallian tradition to learn, lead, and serve in the spirit of Saint John Baptist de La Salle.
Thank you for generous support.
Please contact Iris Gist Cochran, Director of Development at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Fund for Excellence Brochure
Illinois Invest in Kids Act
De La Salle Institute awards over $2 million in tuition assistance annually to 70% of our students. To support Institute students through the Invest in Kids Act, designate your contribution to De La Salle Institute as the recipient of your tax credit.
Illinois Public Act 100-0465 created the Invest in Kids Act. This Act allows state income tax credits for individual and corporate taxpayers who make authorized contributions to a Scholarship Granting Organization (SGO). The SGOs, in turn, provide scholarships for eligible students to attend non-public schools in Illinois.
The Illinois Tax Credit Scholarship Program, “Invest in Kids,” provides a 75 percent Illinois state income tax credit to individuals and corporations that contribute money to a non-profit Scholarship Granting Organization (SGO). The SGOs award scholarships to eligible students from low-income families.
Further information on tax credit scholarships:
- An individual or corporation will receive a 75 percent credit on donations to an SGO. For example, if a person donates $100,000, they will receive a state tax credit of $75,000.
- Individual donors can designate their donations to a specific school or group of schools – De La Salle Institute.
- The credit can be rolled over for five years.
- Donors are prohibited from receiving a federal tax deduction for these donations.
- The program is capped at $100 million in donations, resulting in $75 million in total tax credits issued.
- The credits are divided proportionally into five regions within the state (De La Salle Institute is in Region 1).
How does one donate?
- Set up an account with mytax.illinois.gov. The donor must request a “Letter ID” via this website. The “Letter ID” is sent via the postal service and can take 7-10 business days to arrive. For step-by-step instructions on how to request a “Letter ID” click here.
- Activate/Sign Up for your ‘my tax account’ once you receive your “Letter ID.” For step-by-step instructions on how to activate/sign-up for your ‘my tax account’ click here.
- Apply for a tax credit as soon as the application is open on the website (mytax.illinois.gov) beginning at 8 am (CST) on January 2, 2018 as credits are reserved on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Once approved, you will be issued a Contribution Authorization Certificate (CAC) by the Department of Revenue. Within 60 days, you must provide a copy of the CAC, along with the full contribution, to the Scholarship Granting Organization such as Empower Illinois. Designate your donation to De La Salle Institute. De La Salle Institute is in Region 1.
Every taxpayer’s situation is slightly different. We recommend that benefactors wishing to participate in this program speak with their tax advisor regarding the advantages and implications of the tax credit program and how a contribution to this program may reduce or eliminate your state tax liability.