Academic & Developmental
Needs of Our Students
The Student Services Department at De La Salle Institute is designed
to meet the academic, social & developmental needs of its students.
- Facilitating communication between teachers and students
- Monitoring students academic progress
- Setting Academic & Personal Goals
- Foster the student's personal sense of responsibility & accountability
- Identifying academic issues and helping to develop action plans with students and parents
- Assisting in course planning
- Assisting in interpreting standardized testing
- Discuss issues related adjusting to high school
- Encouraging students to manage personal challenges
- Identify students strengths and interests
- Support families who have medical issues
- Discuss emotional or social issues that may be interfering with academic performance
- Difficulty Concentrating
- Family Stress
- Peer Relationships
- Motivational Issues
A counselor is always available to deal with emergencies throughout the day. Students may be referred for services by faculty, parents or themselves. All students are eligible for counseling.
- Classroom Presentations
- Guidance Program counselors regularly visit classrooms to present information on school related topics and events.
- All School Testing
- Standardized Testing to help assess students' on-going academic progress and preparation for the ACT and SAT. We inform parents of testing results and help with result interpretation.
- Supplemental Instruction
- Student Services can help coordinate study time or supplemental instruction for students that struggle academically.
School Wide Initiatives
- Peer Mediation
- We enlist our most mature and objective upper classmen to act as mediators in minor disputes and conflicts among our students
- Resolution is sought through dialogue and compromise
- Drug Awareness
- Each year student services organizes a series of events, advisory discussions, and school assemblies that make up “DRUG AWARENESS WEEK”
- Information to make students aware of the hazards of substance abuse
- Acceptance Week
- Student Services provides activities, lesson plans, and guest speakers for the student body to support the acceptance of diversity in and outside of the school.
- Committees of students establish events, speakers, presentations for their peers to encourage the acceptance/tolerance of each other’s differences.
- Consulting Psychologists
- Student Services maintains a close association with a counseling psychologist to assist in the management of student mental health issues.
- We have available contacts with outside agencies that provide ongoing assistance and counseling to our graduates.